Home     About Me     Recipes

Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 6 I'm thankful for being able to cook/ Lasagna Recipe


I am thankful I know how to cook and bake. I love food some would say I'm a foodie. I can sometimes create a dish and it turn out pretty good. Sometimes I take a traditional recipe and change it up a bit. Like this Lasagna. I needed to use up some veggies I had in fridge and Lasagna was on the menu. So I added them to my sauce.
Lasagna Ingredients:
I always buy 1 box Barilla no bake lasagna noodles
1 16oz. Ricotta Cheese part skim
3 cups mozzarella cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb. ground beef/turkey or Italian sausage ( I use ground turkey)
2 jars marinara sauce
onion
carrots
celery ....all of these to taste

Prep:
Preheat oven to 375, spray 13 x 9 pan with non-stick spray. In Medium bowl, beat eggs. Stir in ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella and the Parmesan.
In medium sauce pan warm olive oil, when warm add diced onion, carrot and celery. Once a bit soft add these veggies to your marinara sauce.

To assemble:
When layering lasagna, slightly overlap sheets. Lasagna will expand to the edges during cooking.
1. Spread bottom of pan with sauce
2. Layer 4 uncooked sheets, 1/3 of ricotta mixture, half browned meat, 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup sauce
3. Layer 4 uncooked sheets, 1/3 ricotta mixture and 1 1/2 cup sauce
4. Layer uncooked sheets, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining meet and sauce
5. layer remaining 1 cup mozzarella on top.
**I also used a mixture of Italian cheeses on top to add a little flavor.
My kids do not usually like lasagna and this night they ate all of it. I also make my own marinara.

Marinara:
Buy a store brand tomato sauce.
In large pot warm up sauce and add a bunch of seasonings like:
Parsley
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Basil
Garlic minced
all to taste. I also add cooked ground turkey to half my sauce.
Once it's all infused together divide into freezer safe Tupperware. I freeze them for enough for 4 people.

Happy Cooking!
If you end up making my lasagna let me know how it turns out.


No comments: