Home     About Me     Recipes

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Identity Crisis?!?

I'm in a Identity Crisis, mid-life crisis, a simple career change crisis, not sure what to call it really?
I've been in the Restaurant/Hotel industry since I was 14. My first job was a hostess at my favorite Mexican restaurant, leading me to working as a server and finally a manager. When I was a teenager I walked into the Seattle Four Season's hotel and fell in LOVE. From that moment I knew I was destined to be in the hotel industry. Many positions later, in the start and the height of my career I had kids. I realized several years later that the yearning for my children all day while I was at work was not going away. I needed to quit, so I did one morning before the restaurant opened. I left and haven't looked back.

Now several years later, the nest is becoming empty. At this moment in time, I had always planned on getting pregnant and having a daughter. We are still undecided on baby #3, we are a very happy family of 4. I've never wanted 3 kids, I've only wanted 2 but I thought I would of gotten 1 of each. I can't shake the feeling of what it would be like to have a girl. Financially we don't feel that having #3 is possible at this time, so in several short months I will have no kids during the day. So, I asked my DH what I should do. Hoping that he wouldn't say get a job! To my surprise he said whatever you want. I personally think he likes having a housewife.

I know there are many things I want to do in life and not having kids during the day would definitely give me time to accomplish them. But much to my surprise I have been really thinking hard about what Job...yes Job I want to do. What am I going to do with my life? I have come up with a few listed in importance below.

1. Pastry Chef
2. Ministry..(mission trips)
3. Human Resources (in a hotel)
4. Simply work in an office as someones assistant

SO, are you understanding my crisis now? Is there even a name for this crisis? I'm hoping that I get it figured out soon, in the meantime I'm planning my goals for February and my summer!

xoxo
-N

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh Nicole, you kinda sorta sound like me.

I've been thinking that it might be time for me to actually work since I haven't in the past 4 1/2 years. That's kind've a scary thought for me too but something I should do and actually want to do. You're probably wondering, how has she not worked in the past 4 years. LONG story for that one but basically my accident came along and blind sided me. My doctor says I can't work, which might even be different these days as I've improved more. And I don't care what my doctor says, I know that I could work just fine!

My jobs have been child care jobs: 2 day cares and nannying for 4 different families, although my first jobs at 15 & 16 were receptionist jobs. Through all of that I went to college and got a degree. I SO want to use that degree but honestly I'm scared to. Scared because I've never done anything like that and think that I might need to brush up on what I've learned in school to do a good job at anything related to a job with my degree. Of course there's always the easy way out and get another job as a nanny, which I would SOO love to do but sometimes think I shouldn't since I put so much time into learning so I should use that education I learned.

I'm having this crisis of WHAT TO DO & WHEN TO DO IT??!!??
I keep telling myself just do it, which I've been looking for work but haven't found anything quite yet that has peaked my interest and plus the scare of the thought of not having my "freedom" has brushed off the idea of working a little bit.
Maybe there's a solution for the both of us. A simple part time job. I've even looked for those kind of jobs and those have not popped up at me either so I guess those are hard to find too. Maybe which ever one of us gets a job first will make the other one follow the trail and get one too if wanted. We can do this if it's something we want! :)

Oh and BTW...the baby thing. Note to you, think real hard about that one. I only say that because my mom was wanting more kids, well actually another daughter, so she got knocked up a couple times and all the next ones were boys. So that makes her have 5 sons and 1 daughter!!! I suppose you don't always get what you want :)

Julie - Life Continues said...

Oh a granddaughter would be so wonderful....but not at the price of going into debt. Why don't you do some volunteer work for a few hours a week and maybe that will help you decide if you want to go back to work or not. Maybe it would also help you decide what type of work you want to do.

I am going through a similar experience myself....an identity crisis for me.

Pray about it and you will know what to do.