Home     About Me     Recipes

Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown

I finally finished A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown this morning. This book was close to 500 pages. I've read a few autobiography's and all of them being about drug or alcohol addicts. I find them very easy to read and very good. This one was different, it was a female author this time. My friend Lauren recommended this one to me, if I remember correctly. I was hooked right away. It was a very different beginning than normal. You would think you were reading a murder mystery or something. This book was in great, I mean GREAT detail of her life starting from young innocient age 11 to a hard, victorious 33 years old.
Cupcake went through every horrible thing you can think of. It was disturbing at times to even read what she endured. The people she encountered pissed me off and some I was sad to see gone from the story. It really made me think of all the foster kids out there, do we really have "mom's" out there that do such horrible things still? Do our judges, police officers really put kids back in the system after finding out about such abuse?
I do think that the book was good, but the book had a lot of parts in it that were repeated. I almost felt like I had read that page before but the bit of info was really at the beginning of the chapter sometimes the page before. The book would of been a few chapters shorter if it wasn't in such detailed info that wasn't all that important or it didn't repeat info. I cried, I laughed, I even cried tears of joy (while at the gym too)!
All in all great book with a good ending. I also loved that she included and Epilogue on where every character was/are now. I would tell more of the story but I hate ruining books for others.
I recommend this one! If you have read it or will read it after this post, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: