Home     About Me     Recipes

Monday, October 4, 2010

Golf Course Cake

Mr. T turned 7 in August and he wanted everything to do with miniature golf. So of course I had to come up with a golf course cake! I searched high and low for little plastic golfers, flags anything you put on top of a cake with no luck. I thought this is really putting my creativity to the test. I didn't mind though I just love to bake and feel like a little Highlands Ranch Martha Stewart!
Here are some step by step directions on how to make a Golf Course Cake with limited supplies.

Make your desired cake mix as a long sheet cake. Get white (vanilla preferably) icing and green food coloring.
Mix icing and green dye together to make a grass green. You will need 2 greens one darker then the other. I decided to put a river in the middle so make a small batch of blue icing as well. Using an small spreader start applying the icing slowly. Make sure the cake is completely cooled off or it will rip the top layer of the cake.



 Once you have your grass down put in your river. I then put rocks down on the side of the river. I simply mixed a white and black gel icing together to make grey.
 For your sand pit crush a 1/2 a graham cracker and sprinkle in an odd shape by the green. I then made a square flag with a number on it. Put a black gel icing spot for the hole.
Since I didn't actually have a golfer I put a white icing dot for a ball and two clubs crossed on the side. This is the best I could come up with. My son was happy and the kids at the mini golf party were so excited! I think if you have experience with Fondant it would look better but that stuff is very hard to work with and doesn't taste all that great.

1 comment:

Becky Jane said...

I love 'necessity being the mother of invention' projects...you came up with a great cake!