Home     About Me     Recipes

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

September's book club book was Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I really enjoyed this book from page 1. I found it to be a long read but good.  Henry the main character is a Chinese boy living in Seattle with his parents during WWII (1942-1986). His parents have him attending an all white school where they treat him poorly. He works in the kitchen serving lunch everyday until one day a Japanese girl starts working with him. The become friends very quickly. They both like each other but don't want to admit it. I kept feeling like just kiss her already!  The book transitions from Henry being a child and living this life to an adult with a son who is getting married to a white women and he's trying them his past. The book is very detailed on how much Henry struggles with bullies, his father banishing him, and how he longs for Keiko. The unspoken love they have between each other had me in sobs by the end of the book. I thank the lord we don't go through what people had to endure in the 40's. The ending is fantastic although the last sentence had me a little upset....(spoiler alert) what the heck did they say to each other? I couldn't find in the book when they had previously said those words to find out what it meant. But my imagination leads me to believe that they were saying they missed each other and I love you! I'm so happy that it ended the way it did.
I think I may have been 1 or 2 of 9 people in the book club that liked this book. Others said it was slow and hard to get into. Some didn't even finish the book. Like I said it was good but it was a bit difficult for me to grab every night. I am also reading another book at the same time that was a little more fast paced that had me reaching for that one more.
All in all, I do recommend this book to anyone. I am also from Seattle and miss is so much that just reading about locations they were in made me picture home, like I was there.
Enjoy your read. If you have read it what do you think of it???

No comments: