Home     About Me     Recipes

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Popovers

I tried another Julia Child recipe this evening..Popovers. I needed to incorporate something new for breakfast with the boys. They would eat cereal and pancakes everyday if I let them. I just don't feel like they stay full and get the nutrients they need to focus in class on food like that. So here goes another recipe.




The first muffin tin of popovers, small but, OK. Second batch better! Still not anything like I had pictured in my mind. I also need to figure out high altitude baking with these recipes, it's playing a huge roll in my overall product.  My husband likes these, the boys not so much. I do need to warm them up and add melted butter and honey to the top and give it a real try one morning this week! Here's the recipe, give it a try! If you make them send me a comment.


Popovers:
1 Cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole or 2% milk at room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs, room temp
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

melted butter, for greasing the popover cups

Preheat oven 425. Butter down muffin pan. Leaving space between each cup, to give ample room for the popovers to get air circulation.
Pour the ingredients into the container of a blender and whirl until smooth. Strain the batter if it is at all lumpy.
For the muffin cups, use 1/4 cup of batter for each cup, filling alternate cups in each tin so that every popover has puffing space. You will need to use two tins. Bake, without opening the oven door, for 25 minutes, until the popovers are puffed, nicely browned, and crisp on the exterior. Turn the temperature down to 350 and bake for another 15 minutes to help dry out the interior, which no matter what you do, will always be a little doughy in the center. (some people love this part, others pull it out) Serve Immediately.
Freezable for up to a month. Better to serve warm right out of the oven. You can always warm them up at 350 for 10 minutes. Serve with melted butter and honey on top!

**If I were to make these again I would bake at 350 to begin with and then turn down to 200 for the last few minutes.

Enjoy!
xoxo
-N

No comments: