Home     About Me     Recipes

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes...

Take one...again! As stated before I am in love with cupcakes, so I attempted to make my own. I am not doing so well with the homemade stuff this last week. I mostly blame it on the horribly cold weather we are having. I cannot even keep my house warm!
My husband actually likes the way the chocolate cupcakes turned out, I think they taste like brownies. I wanted to make a football field with the cupcakes for my Superbowl dessert..had to resort to plain Jane cupcakes.





I set the timer for a few minutes less then what it calls for (being at high altitude) so I opened the oven door and one by one each cupcake deflated....bummer!

Chocolate Cupcakes:
2/3 cup all -purpose flour
2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped ( I only had milk chocolate)
1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
3 large eggs, at room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350f. Line standard 12 cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Place the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan. If you have a double boiler like I used, it works great. Stir frequently until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove the bowl from the saucepan; let mixture cool to room temp.

Using wooden spoon, stir the sugar into the chocolate mixture until combined. Stir in eggs one at a time, beating until combined after each addition, and then beat in the vanilla. Gently fold in the flour mixture just until no traces of flour remain; do not over mix.

Divide the batter into muffin cups. Bake 22-24 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to the wire rack and cool completely.

Hope you have a better experience then I did!! My husband plans on taking the insides warming them up and eating with vanilla ice cream. Like I said it taste like brownies and he loves his brownies!
Until my next adventure in the kitchen..Keep warm!

xoxo
-N

1 comment:

Julie - Life Continues said...

Look like great brownies! Altitude maybe along with the cold. You can probably google "reasons my choc cupcakes didn't turn out".....might help.

:)