Home     About Me     Recipes

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Julie and Julia By Julie Powell



I want to start off by saying I just love this book cover! This isn't the book cover I got from the library, I got the large print book and the cover is ugly.
Julie and Julia is about Julie a 29 year old turning 30 who lives in a small apartment just outside New York City. Julie is in a dead end job that she hates, so she decides to Master the Art of French Cooking Vol. 1 by Julia Child as a way to reinvent herself.  Julie starts a blog to write about making 524 recipes in 365 days in 1 small apartment kitchen.
I liked Julie and Julia, what a great book. Being that I am a foodie and I blog,  I felt like this book was written just for me. It kind of gave me a kick in the pants. I won't be making half the things they made, I will never DE bone a duck or make aspics but I do want to try and make tarts and lady fingers. The amount of butter and oil used in the dishes made me a little sick to my stomach. I couldn't imagine not gaining weight after the things she made.
I did watch the movie when it came out first, but that didn't ruin anything for me. I actually may feel different about the book and movie then most. I think the book was better then the movie! I don't know if it's because of the annoying voice they gave Julia Child in the movie or Meryl Streep bugs me and I cannot stand Stanley Tuchi. But the book really made me feel like I was there in the small kitchen with Julie as she cooked, the details were amazing.
I do recommend the book especially for a foodie! I think I have my next blog post...Tart, Ladyfingers anyone?
Did you read the book? What did you think of it?
xoxo
-N

No comments: