Home     About Me     Recipes

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Little Bee book review

Little Bee by Chris Cleave was August's pick for book club. This is my first book to read by Chris and I went into the book thinking it was going to be the biggest tear jerker. The comments I read off facebook from fellow readers said it was so sad and depressing. I expected a book like the movie My Sister's Keeper. As I started the book one evening just before going to bed, I had a hard time getting into it. A day or two later I felt like it was going to be a good book but not one that you read at bedtime. I heard from a friend that the book gets good at page 100. So I couldn't wait to find out what happens. So once I got to 100, she was right. I finished the book in the next day or two. The book was sad and the book club discussion questions were just as sad!! I felt that Chris was good at switching characters each chapter and it was easy to follow along. Chris really did his research on getting a good grasp on how things work with the immigration and detention centers. This was a great story plot and I wouldn't mind reading something like this again. I felt after I had read it, it tied into the book The Help. Both books were about how whites treat blacks and the one white girls has to be different. The white women rebels against someone. In the Help the white women rebelled against all othe white women and in Little Bee the white women fought against the blacks, her husband, and her lover!
Overall on a scale of 1 to 10 I give this one a 7.
Anyone else read this? I'd love to hear what you thought! Or if you go out and read it after reading my post come back and tell me what you thought!

No comments: