Home     About Me     Recipes

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Climbing my 1st 14er!


As many of you know I am working on my bucket list. Climbing a 14er was one of my bucket list items. For all of not in Colorado and don't know what a 14er is, well Colorado has 52 mountains that are at 14,000 feet or higher. If you climb one it's call climbing a 14er. So I chose to climb Mt. Bierstadt it sits at 14,060 feet. My friend Lisa and I got up at 5am and headed towards Grant, CO. We both wore shorts and a tank top so ready for a great workout. Well we got to the trail head and it was 35 degrees, we had no gloves or warm hats. We did have track pants, sweatshirts and ball caps though. We began our hike along with a lot of others by 7:50am. Our first thought was how easy (see picture 2) then we got about 100 feet past that and the mountain went straight up and we began our rock climbing adventure. I was hurting in places that I didn't know existed. Hours later we got the the top of the mountain, which is called the Summit. See picture 5. Picture 6 is the view from the Summit. The long hike was totally worth this breath taking moment. We opened the Miller Light I brought took a sip, ate a piece of fruit and headed back down the way we came up. 5 hours later my knees were shot, I couldn't even bend them, my hands were double in size and I was so tired. We got in the car and talked about our great adventure the entire way back and have plans to do it again! In the mean time I will be training a bit more and have a trip coming up next week. Another bucket list item, so come back to my blog for some vacation fun.
Anyone else want to climb a 14er or have a fun bucket list item they are waiting to do? I'd love for you to leave me a comment all about it!

1 comment:

Julie - Life Continues said...

That looks like it was a difficult hike! Great job, and you look great by the way!