Home     About Me     Recipes

Monday, August 15, 2011

1/2 Marathon results

As you all know I ran my 1st 1/2 marathon on Saturday morning. I ran from Georgetown to Idaho Springs, CO. Here's my experience.
 We arrived in Georgetown and it was about 40 degrees. I still couldn't believe I was about to run 13.1 miles. We emptied our bladders and joined the end of the line as the race started. My hand and toes went completely numb from it being so cold. We rounded the corner and completed our first mile. I was doing so good.
I ran through some beautiful mountains and watched the river flow. I prayed a lot to GOD for being with me and making me healthy enough to do what I love.
I came up on the Mile 9 marker and I couldn't believe I had run that far without walking, I had faith my training had paid off. Then not a few minutes later all the pain hit my body like a ton of bricks.
-my hips hurt to move them at all
-my toes had gone numb (it wasn't cold anymore)
-my knees felt like someone was throwing bricks at them
-my ankles felt like snapping in half
At this time I had to walk. When I felt a little surge I jogged. Mile 11 marker, I just wanted to finish, how come the miles seem to come slower! I thought of crying but didn't.
Mile 12 I thought I had nothing left in me but thought what's 1 more mile, do this! I have no idea where my burst of energy came from but I ran fast and hard to cross that finish line. As I crossed I wanted to die! First thing I said, "Why do people do this, this is miserable"! I had to sit down I felt like I was going to throw up. I sat for a while and ate a banana and drank water. I made it home and tried to nap but of course now I had some energy!
My legs hurt still and running for a couple hours is hard work. It really takes a toll on your body. I rather have speed and run shorter distances than run slow and long.
I do know now why people run that far. It's addicting. I can say I may do another one. But I really need to train more on my long runs. Just not sure if my body can keep up. I hear another goal brewing in my brain...
My results were posted and I finished in 2:40. That's 40 minutes longer than I had hoped but hey I finished right!!
I'll post pictures when I get them.
Thank you to everyone who showed there support whether through email, text, comments on here or facebook. I did think of my comments during my run and it kept me going, knowing people were supporting me!

xoxo
-N

1 comment:

Julie - Life Continues said...

Sounds like you did an awesome job!! I know that I wouldn't be able to do that, I am so proud of you! Please be careful that you are not hurting your body, it can do long term damage. Love You!!