Home     About Me     Recipes

Monday, March 19, 2012

March Snowboarding

I moved to Colorado in 2002, and one of the first things I did was learn to snow ski. I loved to water ski and since we don't have lakes here to do that (well close enough to us) I needed to learn to snow ski. I'm no huge into being freezing cold and wearing uncomfortable shoes but I lived with skiers. We skied quite a bit and it was very scary for me. My method was to ride the lift up and just ski down as fast as I could. Sometimes I would throw myself down if I got scared or was just going to fast. I usually screamed a bit too.
I had kids shortly after learning to ski, so that was done. Rog and I swore we would take the kids up and teach them, they are now 6 and 8.
Well 10 years later I finally got back up to the hill. This time to learn to snowboard! I got a few pointers from a friend and hit the hill. It wasn't as scary as skiing at all. I learned in just 2 small runs. Granted I am no pro and I have yet to take a lift up to the top of the mountain. I am getting better though.
A friend and I took our kids up to Winter Park a few weeks ago and we decided to teach them to ski and snowboard.
DC put on a pair of ski's and rode the magic carpet ride up. We told him to just ski down and turn your feet to stop. I pushed him off and he was a natural. The kid went for like hours straight going up and down the mountain. By the end he was crouching down to make himself go faster. He loved it!

TC on the other hand, had a really crappy snowboard to getting in and out was more of a pain in my ass then I wish to explain. I finally just showed him how to snowboard without being strapped in. He still needs a lot of work and being in the mountains for hours isn't really his thing. He hates being freezing cold. He ended up having a total meltdown.
We left!
Here are some pictures and video's from our experience. Courtesy of my dear friend Amanda.

                                                  Waiting patiently to go on a run
                                                             Getting it done!
                                                                              US!

                                                            My longest run

                                                    2nd long run and I ate it 1/2 way down
                                                                  My baby on ski's
                                                           Tanner on his longest run

Here are the video's..I took these from my iphone, so don't mind quality and my horrible voice.

No comments: