Home     About Me     Recipes

Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's Official....

After many many long weeks of training I have officially signed up to run a 1/2 marathon. Previously I wrote about the Denver Rock n' Roll Marathon and how I wanted to run it. After this training I think 13.1 miles is as far as I think I ever want to run! So I'm sticking to my bucket list and doing the 1/2 marathon this August. Which is also months ahead of schedule. But my plans aren't always the plans God has for me. So I'm going with it.
 Running came back to me a little over a year ago full force after climbing a 14'er. I realized I needed to get into better cardio shape and lose weight. My training has me running 4 times per week and from 3 to 12 miles. I wake up pretty early in the morning and run my short distances. On Saturday's I still wake up super early and run my long runs. We have had such a heat wave if I'm not up and out by 5:45 am it's just so hot and I hate sweating! Each week I add 10% to my miles. So far my longest run is 11 miles. That's really long and hard for me since I've always been a sprinter.
As you all know I just love challenging myself and this is just something I never thought I could do, I still find myself saying I can't do it every once and a while. I actually just got home from a 3.5 mile run and I was in pain and felt like stopping...how on earth am I going to do 13? But I have paid for this 1/2, so I'm all in!
I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm going to be running the Georgetown to Idaho Springs 1/2 if you feel like looking it up.

Have any of you run a 1/2 marathon? Which one and how did you like it? What do you recommend for food before and after? I'd love any advice anyone has. Come back in August to see how I did and if I liked it!



xoxo
-N

2 comments:

Lauren Carlton said...

That's awesome. I'm so proud of you for going for it. You can do it!!!

Julie - Life Continues said...

Wow, you have come so far this year! I am very proud of you, you have had so many goals and so many successes!