Home     About Me     Recipes

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Homemade Graham Crackers

I'm always looking for a way to be more frugal and of course make something from scratch. I came across a recipe for homemade Graham Crackers a few weeks back and HAD to try making my own. My hopes were that if we had a lot of crackers around we would make S'mores and the boys would have a good filling snack.
My boys are 6 and almost 8 and they already eat like football players so I'm a bit nervous when they are teenagers and actually football players how much will they be eating? I envision 2 full sandwiches each, a bag of chips each and a bottle of soda! OK back to the crackers!
The crackers were pretty easy to make, but it takes a long time. Make sure you leave at least an hour the first time you try this recipe.





Happy to report the hubby tried these over the weekend and he loved them! He said they were way better then store bought. Dylan had them frozen yesterday as a snack and he loved that too. When we were younger I used to eat them with Cool whip or frosting frozen in the middle...YUMMY!
This is definitely something I will be making often!

Graham Crackers:
12 Tbsp Butter
1 C. Packed Brown Sugar
1/3 c. Honey
2 Eggs
1 1/2 C all purpose Flour
1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour (I would put a little less of this next time, you could totally taste wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
Cinn/sugar mixture for topping!

Beat butter, honey and brown sugar in mixer until fluffy. Add eggs then mix. Add Flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, white sugar and salt to mix. Put in fridge for 1 hour. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
On floured surface roll out dough about 1/8" thick. Cut and place onto greased cookie sheet.
Dip a pastry brush into water and brush tops of crackers.
Use fork to poke holes in crackers. Sprinkle the Cinn/Sugar mixture on top as desired.
Bake 10 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool 30 minutes.
Enjoy!!
Feel free to link my post to your blog ;)
Do you eat your Graham Crackers a special way? I'd love to hear how!

xoxo
-N

2 comments:

Julie - Life Continues said...

They sound good....your brother used to eat the store bought ones frozen with cool whip frozen in the middle,I bet the boys would like that.

Team Gibson said...

Yummy!! Will you post the recipe when you find it. I totally want to make those for the girls :)