Home     About Me     Recipes

Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Tree grows in Brooklyn, Book Review

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is about a girl name Francie that grows up in Brooklyn with her family. She has a younger handsome brother Nelley, whom the mother adores, a handsome father named Johnny who is an alcoholic and mother named Katie who doesn't care for Francie. They grow up in the early 1900's so money is hard to come by and paid in penny's. Can you believe 5 cents was a lot of money back then? Francie grows up fast and is learning that education is important but you have to get it at the same time as working. Francie goes through many changes in her young life.
This book is nothing like I have read before. There's no twist, no wow moment just a great story about a girl growing up. I really thought there might be a major climax in the book but was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed this book from start to finish. This book is an easy read and enjoyable for all ages.

If you have read this I would love to hear what you thought. If you read this after reading my post come back and let me know what you think also.

xoxo
-N

No comments: